Aloha! Greetings, how are my close friends doing? Hawaii is well-known for many things, including its beautiful residents and cultural variety, as well as its extensive beaches and laid-back vibe. There are more than 1.5 million people in Hawaii, but it may feel like an uphill battle to find a romantic partner there.
Maybe you’ve tried online dating in Hawaii before, only to run into vacationers looking for a one-night stand. While we feel your pain, there is some fantastic technological news we must share with you. Avoid the crowds of visitors and start meeting like-minded singles on your island (or any island) with the help of the top Hawaiian dating apps.
Hawaii hook up sites
Best Dating Apps in Hawaii
|Rank||Site||Free Trial Link|
|#2||Elite Singles||Free Trial|
|#3||Higher Bond||Free Trial|
|#5||The League||Free Trial|
Why eHarmony is Best for Dating in Hawaii
While most of the tourists that visit and are on dating apps are looking to get lei’d (we couldn’t help ourselves with the cheesy pun), real Hawaiians and local residents are often looking for more. If that speaks to you, then eHarmony very well may be the dating app you want.
As one of the few dating apps that takes the time to market to serious singles in Hawaii, eHarmony is designed specifically for real relationships. What’s nice, as well, is that you can sort your matches by a ton of different factors including ethnicity in case your roots and continuing within your culture are important to you. As heritage is so important to so many in the state, this is a big deal.
If you’re looking for a lasting relationship in Hawaii, eHarmony is the choice you need to check out.
Zoosk – An Option for Tourists (or Meeting Tourists)
Alright, so we said that a lot of Hawaiians are looking for that real and lasting relationship—but that doesn’t mean everybody. Where do you go if you’re a local who likes meeting tourists? What dating app do you use if you’re a tourist (or a local) who is looking for more casual dating in Hawaii?
If that’s you, you’re looking for Zoosk. With an enormous userbase, Zoosk is already a top option for a small place like Hawaii. But on top of that, the app lets you quickly change your location (great for traveling), and it lets you change and select the type of relationship you’re looking for. You’ll see options for casual styles of dating, as well as more serious relationship goals.
If you’re visiting, are a local who wants something casual, or you just don’t know yet—check out Zoosk.
Additional Resources for Hawaii Singles
- What Makes These the Best Hawaii Dating Apps?
- What is the Dating Scene in Hawaii Like?
- How Safe is Online Dating in Hawaii?
- Which City in Hawaii is Online Dating Most Popular?
- Best Free Dating Sites in Hawaii (Free Trials)
- Hawaii Dating Apps FAQ
What Makes These the Best Hawaii Dating Apps?
For a Hawaii online dating app to be worth your time, it has to have all of the qualities we look for in a trusted site. Some of these must-have qualities include:
Technology to Filter Out Tourists
According to recent reports, over 10.5 million people visited Hawaii last year, which is exciting! And if you’re looking to meet some of these tourists for some quick fun (or you are a tourist just visiting), we recommend you check out our list of the best casual dating apps.
For everyone looking for something more lasting and certainly local, this guide is built for you. When we choose a Hawaiian dating app, we look for ones that have systems or features in place to make it tougher for out-of-town guests to pose as locals. This might be search features, preference filters, or even limits on how and when they can change their location.
Opportunities to Share Your Culture
Everyone knows that culture is of the utmost importance to Hawaiians. Because of this, it’s important that a dating app serving this region is robust enough to give you the chance to showcase that. Otherwise, you might end up matching with someone who really doesn’t vibe well with your family and how you like to do things. What this looks like in practice are places to add a ton of photos, multiple profile fields to share about yourself, and a spot to put your preferences of what you’re looking for.
Hawaii is beautiful. If you’re spending most of your time inside, you’re probably not doing Hawaii the right way (at least that’s our humble opinion). For that reason, we want to see options that let you search, meet, and match on the go. This means we want to see either dedicated and downloadable dating apps or mobile-friendly websites that you can use from any device. Good news; every option we listed fits the bill.
While we think the written information is always the most important part of an online dating profile, the pictures are also important. And in a state like Hawaii where there’s so much beautiful scenery and beautiful people, it’s probably important to be able to share that with people you may want to match with. All of these app options allow you to upload multiple pictures in a high resolution format to best showcase you and your lifestyle.
What is the Dating Scene in Hawaii Like?
While Hawaii is such a unique state which makes it tough to make any generalized statements, we want to try our best. Below, you’ll find some things you can expect to see if you’re jumping into the dating scene on any of the islands.
- Tourists and travel nurses – Expect to see a ton of tourists on the dating apps looking for tour guides and random hookups. We did our best to pick out Hawaii dating apps that help to weed these people out, but they are masters of getting through the cracks. If you want casual, you’ll enjoy the steady revolving door. If not, get comfortable with filters. Additionally, we’ve gotten reports of tons of travel nurses on all the apps. These are medical professionals that do rotations in different areas of the country on an as-needed basis. Technically, they’re living there, but it may not be for more than three or six months. It’s up to you if you’d like to entertain meeting them. Do keep in mind that many travel nurses are offered extensions or full-time positions after their rotation, so that could be a plus!
- Military singles – Because of the major US military presence within the state (it’s the headquarters of the United States Pacific Command (USPACOM), you can expect to see a ton of military singles on most of the dating apps. As the military is heavily male, this also means a lot of those singles are going to be men. If you are open to dating someone in the military, this is great news. If not, expect to do a lot of swiping.
- Smaller single pools – As you might expect, the pool of singles both in person and online is going to be smaller. In the continental US, you get the benefit of neighboring states. In Hawaii, that’s not the case. Remember, though, it only takes one special person to change your life, so the smaller pool shouldn’t be a complete turn off.
- Extended response times – Hawaiians love the outdoors and unlike some other states in the nation, they seem to not be as addicted to their phones and technology as everywhere else. For this reason, you may want to have a little more patience when it comes to getting responses back to your online dating messages.
- Cultural makeup – On the latest Census, Hawaii came in as 37% Asian, 22% White,11% Hispanic, 10% Islander, 2% Black, and 19% a mix of multiple ethnic backgrounds. Expect to see a lot of Native Hawaiians, Filipinos, Japanese, Samoans, and Marshallese throughout the islands in the dating pool. What this means for you is a lot of unique cultures and diverse people to get to know.
Honolulu Ranks 86th Best City for Singles
Recently, the research team at Healthy Framework dug into the data to find the best cities for singles in the USA. The only city from Hawaii to make the list was Honolulu coming in at 86th. And while 86th out of the 100 studied cities isn’t that great, there are some positives to take away.
First, the biggest reason for the low score was the cost of dating. But we know that it really doesn’t cost anything to enjoy nature or get out to the beach, so that’s not necessarily that big of a deal. Second, the quality of the dating pool in the state is quite great, which is why the state scored well in that category. Of course, we probably don’t have to tell you that!
Hawaii Singles and Dating Site Statistics
The last thing we want to look at about the dating scene in Hawaii are a few macro-level figures. We want to give you an idea of the age, gender, and single population sizes across the whole state. These will vary based on where you live, but this should give you a good idea for the state.
Population in Hawaii by Gender
- 49.7% women in Hawaii
- 50.3% men in Hawaii
Overall Singles (Unmarried) by Gender
- 49.9% of women in Hawaii are single
- 48.3% of men in Hawaii are single
Population in Hawaii by Age
- 12.6% aged from 20-29 years old
- 14.0% aged from 30-39 years old
- 12.0% aged from 40-49 years old
- 12.2% aged from 50-59 years old
- 26.1% aged 60+ years old
% Households With Internet in HI
- 83.3% of households in Hawaii have internet access
How Safe is Online Dating in Hawaii?
Hawaii ranked 13th most dangerous state for online dating in a recent data study conducted by our team hear at Healthy Framework. Now, before you throw your phone or computer into the ocean and run for the hills, let us break it down a little bit.
First, here are the five categories the study looked at for each state in the nation:
Based on this data, your odds of falling victim to a romance scam or online dating scam in Hawaii are 1 in 16,000. When you look at it that way, it seems a bit less daunting. Additionally, most of these romance scams could be avoided if people took more time to educate themselves on what to do and what not to do when dating online. This includes things like not sending money to anyone ever for any reason (no matter how emotional their story), always taking the time to vet your matches before getting close to them, and trusting your instincts.
Additionally, while these stats may sound rough, you have to remember that meeting people in-person also carries risk. While we don’t have the exact stats on where Hawaii ranks for that, we’d venture to say that in-person dating is equally or more risky than dating online where you have some separation before meeting and technology to help you out.
Which City in Hawaii is Online Dating Most Popular?
Since we’re on the topic of online dating in Hawaii, it makes sense to look at what islands or areas the practice is the most popular.
Recently, we took a look at Google Search Trend data to find out which city in the state of Hawaii is the most popular for online dating. The team looked at search trends over the past 12 months from all over the islands. And, to be honest, we weren’t surprised with the results. The winning city with the most search traffic for online dating topics in Hawaii was Honolulu. In fact, it was the only city that even registered on the scale.
- Honolulu (100)
Best Free Dating Sites in Hawaii (Free Trials)
Try before you buy is one of our favorite things because it ensures you’re getting what you want and getting your money’s worth. Thankfully, this is a common theme in the dating app world, so get excited. At the top of this guide, we’ve showcased our favorite Hawaii dating apps with links to free trial accounts.
Yes, these are limited free trials in some cases, but you should have plenty of room to search for singles, set up your profile, upload some photos, test out some features, and even respond to messages on some sites! If you’re looking for 100% free Hawaii dating apps, we don’t recommend them. You’re just not going to get the quality, safety, and support you need for a good experience. But, it doesn’t hurt to be able to test sites out to save and ensure you’re at the right spot.
Hawaii Dating Apps FAQ
Is dating in Hawaii hard?
There are some aspects of dating in Hawaii that can make it challenging. These include a lot of cultures that don’t want to date outside of their culture, a huge and regular influx of tourists who tend to clog up the dating apps, and a laid-back culture that can feel like it moves at a snails pace when it comes to dating. Still, though, challenging does not mean impossible or that you shouldn’t try.
Do locals use online dating in Hawaii?
Yes, you have a lot of locals who use online dating in Hawaii. Additionally, you have a lot of what we call “temporary locals” who use online dating apps which include people like military, seasonal workers, and traveling nurses.