You’ve found the right place if you’re sick of trying to meet Mr. or Ms. Right in front of Aldi’s cheese display. Sure, it’s challenging to find love in the Show Me State, but it doesn’t have to be that way. Sorry for the corny pun, but we just can’t help ourselves: here are some tips for singles in Missouri to improve their dating success.
What strategy do we plan to employ? With the aid of modern tools. Here we will discuss the best Missouri dating apps for meeting singles, explain why we think they are so effective, and provide links to additional resources for those interested in the singles community in Missouri and beyond. Whether you’re a seasoned veteran of online dating or just beginning to explore the possibilities, we’re here to help you get off to a great start.
Free dating sites in missouri
The Best Dating Apps in Missouri
|Free Trial Link
Why eHarmony is the Best Missouri Dating App Option
So, standing under the Gateway Arch and hoping to run into the love of your life just hasn’t worked yet—we feel you. And while we’re suckers for the cinematic love stories that inspire thoughts like that, they’re just not practical. What is practical, though, and is a great dating app option for singles in Missouri is eHarmony.
In a spread out state with less than 100 people per square mile (that’s heavily skewed by the bigger cities), Missouri singles need a dating app that has a lot of members to meet and connect with. That’s eHarmony. And while it’s not the largest dating app in terms of total members, it more than makes up for that with the quality of the singles.
Take all of that and toss in a two-decade track record of helping millions of singles find love, and you can see why we chose eHarmony as the best Missouri dating app option.
Additional Resources for Missouri Singles
- 3 Reasons We Chose These Dating Apps
- What is Dating in Missouri Really Like?
- Where is Online Dating Most Popular in Missouri?
- Best Free Dating Sites in Missouri
- Missouri Dating Apps FAQ
3 Reasons We Chose These Dating Apps
You’re not going to find our team randomly recommending dating sites and apps just because we found them on Google. We take our reviews and recommendations seriously. What that means for you is that you can rest assured that all of the Missouri dating apps we recommend are actually the top options available.
Why? Glad you asked. Our team looks at hundreds of different criteria before making a determination. Here are a few of the most important factors that we look at.
1. No limits on distance filters.
As we mentioned (and you probably already know), Missouri is a pretty spread out state with a lot of smaller towns. The state also shares a border with an unprecedented eight different states—Arkansas, Illinois, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Nebraska, Oklahoma, and Tennessee. For dating apps, this means you need to be able to set your distance filters for matches as wide or narrow as you want to. If you want the ability to meet people across state lines, amazing. If you want to keep it within your small town, that should be an option as well.
2. Steady marketing campaigns for new users.
In most states, we don’t really take the marketing campaigns of a dating app into much account when racking and stacking. However in Missouri where it’s the 3rd lowest state when it comes to online dating interest, we want to see marketing. And we’re actually not so much looking for the effectiveness of the campaigns as we are for driving awareness of the app in the state. When you have a lower percentage of your population using dating apps, you need to go to the ones where everyone locally is hanging out.
3. Small town safety features.
There are 1,066 cities in Missouri which means a lot of those are pretty dang small. If you’re dating online in a city like that, you are bound to run into people you know (which is fine). However, you’re going to want to have some filters you can use to block certain people or hide from other people you’re not interested in interacting with. While this is still important in bigger cities, it’s even more important in these small cities. The best Missouri dating apps understand this and have built and implemented features to help.
What is Dating in Missouri Really Like?
Something we think is very helpful for singles is a keen understanding of what the dating scene in their area is like. And while the dating scene isn’t the same across the entire state of Missouri, there are some things that we’ve noticed that seem to be trends. Here’s what our experience and research have shown about the Missouri dating scene (and what you might encounter).
- Social circles are tight knit. – If you’ve lived here for a while, you already know this. If you’re new, now you know. What this means for singles is that if you don’t find someone within your tight knit group of connections, it’s really hard to get plugged in elsewhere. This means that getting set up by a friend or family member is probably not going to happen. In other words, expect to have to do “more of the work” and the matchmaking for you by yourself.
- Missouri is the 15th most religious state in the nation. – In a recent study, over 70% of people in Missouri say they believe in God with absolute certainty. You can imagine that this means faith is going to play a bigger role in dating interactions than it would in a lot of other states. We’re not saying you need to run out and get religious if you’re not, but expect it to be something people bring up and possibly a deal breaker if you’re not on the same page.
- People get married young. – Missouri, the land of high school sweethearts? Absolutely. People in the state who grew up here tend to get married pretty young. The average age of marriage in the state is just over 26 years old (19th in the country).
- Nightlife outside of the big cities is not off the charts. – Surprise—nightlife in a Midwest state outside of the big cities is slow. While you probably already knew this, it is worth mentioning in the dating discussion as bars and late-night events have always been a popular way that people meet. The good news, though, is that what smaller Missouri cities lack in nightlife, they tend to makeup in smaller, more intimate community events. These are much better places to meet singles anyways and you don’t have to be out till the wee hours of the morning building up a nice hangover and sleep deprivation.
- Ethnic diversity is lower across the board. – According to the most recent Census data, almost 80% of the population of Missouri are White/Caucasian. Following this is Black at 11% and then Hispanic at 5%. Depending on what you’re looking for, this will have a positive or negative effect on your dating experience.
- There are a few areas where you’ll see an abundance of military singles. – There are two military bases in the state of Missouri in Johnson and Pulaski. There used to be a Marine Corps base in Kansas City that is no longer active. If you live around either of these cities, expect to see a higher concentration of military men and women around town and on the dating apps. The main focus of Fort Leonard Wood in Pulaski is training new recruits, so expect a lot of those soldiers to rarely leave the base meaning you’ll only see them flooding the towns on family days and graduation days.
Two Cities Make the Top Cities for Singles List – St. Louis and Kansas City
Since Missouri has a high concentration of the population in a few bigger cities, we felt taking a dedicated look at those cities was important to understanding the single’s scene. Recently, we conducted a data study on the best cites for singles in the US. The study looked at the 90 biggest cities (by population) in the nation which brought St. Louis and Kansas City into the mix.
Results? St Louis did quite well cracking the top 20, and Kansas city had a below average showing coming in at 54th. We’ve linked the full study in the above paragraph if you’d like to see specifically how each city did in every category.
- 17th – St. Louis
- 54th – Kansas City
Missouri Singles – Dating Statistics
Curious what the bigger picture of the Missouri singles population looks like? We don’t blame you. Knowing what the community looks like can give you the vital information you need to better plan your approach. For example, did you know that women outnumber the men 51/49? In a state of 6 million plus people, that’s over 77,000+ more ladies. But on that same token, only 50% of the women in Missouri are unmarried (single).
Let’s take a look at the numbers.
Population in Missouri by Gender
- 50.6% women in Missouri
- 49.4% men in Missouri
Overall Singles (Unmarried) by Gender
- 50.1% of women in Missouri are single
- 47.6% of men in Missouri are single
Population in Missouri by Age
- 12.7% aged from 20-29 years old
- 13.2% aged from 30-39 years old
- 12.0% aged from 40-49 years old
- 12.4% aged from 50-59 years old
- 24.6% aged 60+ years old
% Households With Internet in MO
- 77.6% of households in Missouri have internet access
Where is Online Dating Most Popular in Missouri?
Since we’re talking Missouri dating apps, it’s important we answer the big question—are singles in the state actually using dating apps?
The answer is yes, but nowhere near as much as other states. In fact, Missouri ranked 49th for interest in online dating. Not great, but that doesn’t mean people aren’t still having success.
To dig deeper, we wanted to see what cities in the state had the most interest in online dating. Let’s look at the results.
Springfield takes the top prize for cities in Missouri with the most interest in online dating over the past 12 months. St. Louis wasn’t far behind in second, and Kansas City rounded out the top three. How did we get this information? We asked everyone. Kidding. We wish we had that much time. We actually looked at Google search trends data from all the major metropolitan areas in Missouri over the past year. This helped us identify the cities and areas with the most search traffic, and therefor, the most interest in online dating!
What was really interesting was when we compared the most recent data to that of the data over the past five years. In the recent times, Springfield leap frogged St. Louis who actually used to be on top. Does this mean you’re out of luck in you live in St. Louis or any other city in MO? Not at all. These are just the hottest of hot spots. The rest of the state is still booming with singles moving towards the world of online dating.
- Springfield MO – (100)
- St. Louis MO – (87)
- Kansas City MO – (65)
- Paducah KY-Cape Girardeau MO-Harrisburg-Mount Vernon IL – (19)
Best Free Dating Sites in Missouri
We’ll let you know the facts upfront—we are not fans of 100% free Missouri dating apps. Why? They’re often dangerous, a huge waste of time, and while you don’t pay anything to be a member, you’re going to pay in lost time, wasted dates, and an emotional headache. The reason for this is that free Missouri dating sites are not well maintained because the companies running them don’t have the resources to do so.
But all is not lost! Yes, you will need to purchase a premium membership at some point to truly see the fruit of online dating in Missouri. However, you shouldn’t have to do that until you’ve dialed in on the app that’s best for you. This is why we’re big proponents of free trials. While limited, dating app free trials give you the keys to check things out, search for matches in your area, and see where you fit best.
Here are a few of our favorite options and there are more at the top of the page in our rankings list.
- eHarmony Free Trial
- Christian Mingle Free Trial
- SilverSingles Free Trial
- Elite Singles Free Trial
- JDate Free Trial
Missouri Dating Apps FAQ
Is dating in Missouri hard?
We’d venture to say that dating in Missouri is actually quite hard. The reasons for this include safety concerns in bigger cities, a more geographically spread out population, one of the lowest interest levels in online dating, and a stigma that things are bad that seems to self-perpetuate itself.
How popular is online dating in Missouri?
While many people do actively use online dating in Missouri, the state ranks 49th for online dating popularity. This means that only North Dakota and Rhode Island rank behind the state as having lower interest in the means of finding love. Still, we think it’s a worthwhile endeavor to help overcome the other challenges found within the state’s dating scene.