Having a romantic outing in the Land of Hawks. Easy enough, right? Finding a compatible partner is “about as easy as looking for a lost pebble in a hundred-acre cornfield,” as one of the singles we spoke with put it. There are more than 3 million people living in the state, but it may feel like an uphill battle to meet the right one.
Achieving success is challenging, but not impossible. We think dating in Iowa is a lot easier than you’d expect as long as you’re curious about new experiences and willing to put technology to good use.
Free dating sites in iowa
We’re talking about the internet, and we’re talking about Iowa dating sites. Yes, the internet—the same place that brought us cat videos and productivity-killing memes can also connect you with the love of your life.
In this guide, we’re going to look at the best Iowa dating sites, some great data about Iowa singles, and load you up with resources to absolutely crush the IA dating market and find exactly what you’re looking for.
Whether you’re in Des Moines, Sioux City, Davenport, Cedar Rapids, or somewhere in between—you’re going to like what we have for you here today.
The Best Dating Sites in Iowa
|Rank||Site||Free Trial Link|
|#2||Elite Singles||Free Trial|
|#3||Higher Bond||Free Trial|
|#5||The League||Free Trial|
What Makes These the Best Iowa Dating Apps?
Alright, Iowa. Let’s get down to brass tax. What makes these truly the best Iowa dating apps and site options for you. It’s not because we just did a quick Google search and wrote down the sites that sounded cool. We have an intricate and in-depth process for ranking. Here are a few of the most important factors we looked at.
- Singles from big and little cities in IA – No matter if you’re looking for someone from Waterloo, Des Moines, Council Bluff, or anywhere in the state—you’re covered with these apps. Additionally, you have the ability to set the radius of how far out you want to receive matches from, which is great if you live out in the outskirts and want to include matches from some neighboring towns.
- People of all ages – While the average age in Iowa is right on par with the national average (38.3 years), we have heard some people saying that the dating scenes in many of the major towns (Iowa City, Ames, and Davenport) are dominated by college-aged singles. If you’re in college or in your 20s, that’s awesome. But if you’re not, that could be a problem. Thankfully, these dating apps service singles across all age brackets including those in the college-age range as well as those older and much older.
- Some religious options, some not – In a recent study, Iowa found itself as the 19th most religious state in the country. This top 20 finish does mean that many of the top dating apps for Iowa singles do need to have a religious focus. However, it also means that some of the other options need to be available for those who don’t fit that bill. You’ll see this reflected in the recommended list.
What is Dating in Iowa Like? The Single’s Scene
While the Iowa single’s scene is going to vary from town to town, there are some trends that we see we felt like sharing. Additionally, we wanted to share some data on the population of Iowa and how that may help or hinder your chances of finding love in the state.
- Don’t Plan on Diversity – If you’re looking for a lot of cultural diversity in the single’s scene, you’re not going to be finding much of that in the state of Iowa. Over 85% of the population is white/Caucasian, followed by 6% Hispanic, 4% Black, and then 3% Asian.
- Options are Equal for Men and Women – In some states, you’ll see a much higher percentage of men or women, which obviously has an effect on the single’s scene. In Iowa, it’s nearly 50/50 across the board. There’s a slightly higher number in some cities (like 51% female in Des Moines), but still relatively close to equal.
- College Towns are College Towns – That may sound like a wildly not profound statement, but it’s an important one. If you’re trying out the bar scene in a major college town like Iowa City or Ames, expect to see a lot of early 20s singles. In these areas, online dating can be great if you’re looking for singles in their 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, etc. And yes, even if you are in the college crowds, you can also find a fruitful experience online if the bars just aren’t your scene.
- Outdoor Activities Are Popular Dates – If you’re someone who likes to stay inside, you may have to get a little creative when scheduling dates. What we’ve heard through the grapevine (or the cornfield?) is that many singles in the state love to do things like kayaking, picnics, hiking, and lake days for dates. You can absolutely still get by with a great coffee date or grabbing drinks on a first date, but don’t forget about the wonderful outdoors!
- Yes, It Is Challenging – We’re not here to tell you that the dating scene in Iowa is as bustling as the one in NYC or Miami or Vegas is. There are just less people in Iowa, which means things will move a bit slower. That doesn’t mean it’s dead and you should give up, though. Just temper your expectations, especially if you’re moving here from one of these fast-paced cities.
- People Do Cross State Lines – If you live towards one of the state lines of Iowa, you’ll be happy to know that you have the ability to date singles in other states. The Iowa dating apps we’ve recommended let you search by distance, which makes this easy to accomplish. And what’s great is that Iowa is bordered by six different states—Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Nebraska, and South Dakota
Iowa Singles Scene – Population, Age, Singles, and Internet Access
Want to know a little more about the Iowa single’s scene? Here’s some recent data that may give you a better idea of what to expect.
Population in Iowa by Gender
- 50.3% women in Iowa
- 49.7% men in Iowa
Overall Singles by Gender
- 47.5% of women in Iowa are single
- 46.5% of men in Iowa are single
Population in Iowa by Age
- 13.6% aged from 20-29 years old
- 12.7% aged from 30-39 years old
- 11.4% aged from 40-49 years old
- 12.8% aged from 50-59 years old
- 23.6% aged 60+ years old
% Households With Internet in IA
- 78.8% of households in Iowa have internet access
Cities in Iowa With the Highest Interest in Online Dating
Online dating, as you might suspect, is a lot more popular in the bigger cities of Iowa, but we still do see some activity in the smaller areas. That being said, where exactly is it the most popular? Well, we wanted to find out so we turned to the data experts at Google.
And the winner is…Davenport, IA made the top of our list of the cities in the state showing the most interested in online dating. The way we found this data was by looking at Google search traffic and trends over the past 12 months in the state. Davenport was the city with the most search traffic for online dating topics. The Cedar Rapids area came in second with 80% of the search traffic we saw in Davenport. You can see the top seven cities listed below.
Always remember, even if you don’t see your city on here, that doesn’t mean that you can’t find someone special online. First, these are major metro areas, which means they include all of the smaller surrounding cities. Second, there are people using Iowa dating sites all over the state, just in smaller numbers than the big cities.
- Davenport IA-Rock Island-Moline IL – (100)
- Cedar Rapids-Waterloo-Iowa City & Dubuque IA – (80)
- Des Moines-Ames IA – (61)
- Omaha NE – (5)
- Ottumwa IA-Kirksville MO
- Sioux City IA
- Rochester MN-Mason City IA-Austin MN
Best Free Dating Sites in Iowa
Are any of these Iowa dating sites free? Yes and no. Yes in the sense that you can sign up for free and you get a trial to try out a lot of the features. No in the sense that if you really want to experience all the sites have to offer, you’re going to have to upgrade to a paid account.
Here’s the thing. Free sounds amazing. However, the quality of service you get in the online dating world depends a lot on what you pay. In other words, you get what you pay for. Paid dating services in Iowa can spend that money on security, marketing for better users, great customer service, and more. Free might feel like the right play, but you’re going to lose out significantly in quality. Take advantage of the free trials we shared at the top of the guide, but be ready to invest in your happiness.